Thursday, April 21, 2011

38 weeks - eek!

As you all have noticed, I survived the full moon and Aubrey is still baking right along.

I have now made it to 38 weeks and 3 days, and boy am I feeling it.  I ended up starting my leave yesterday, as the days were just harder to get through whether it was the back pain, or the cramping or just being plain exhausted.  I went to the doctor this morning and it looks like the discomfort is finally paying off.  Aubrey is in the right position and my body is definitely preparing for labor.  Only a couple more weeks and she will finally be here!  Last week, I was panicking for no reason because everytime I contracted, my stomach went into this crazy shape and I could have swore she was transverse lie, which would have meant definite c-section.  The ultrasound of course proved me wrong, which was great.  She's holding steady at 7.5 pounds, but the doctor thinks that she might be a little smaller than that.  Her head is measuring about a week ahead, which is possibly throwing off the poundage estimate.  We were concerned about her growth due to the diabetes, but it looks it was successfully controlled with diet and didn't affect her at all.  She is however, apparently very chubby, which is just fine with me because that means she's healthy.

This weekend, I took the opportunity to get a little pampering and got my hair colored and my toes done.  It was nice to relax and to also get those things taken care of before pictures are being taken.  Not of my toes hopefully, but the hair was waaaay overdue for a coloring.  Now we wait.  In the meantime, here's the 38 week update:

Your baby has really plumped up. She weighs about 6.8 pounds and she's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.

Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If she's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If she's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time she's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after she's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)

Joey and I both have blue eyes, although mine have a ring of hazel in them.  I'm really curious about her eye color as my grandmother, mother and I all have the same eye color, so it will be really cool if she has it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment