Monday, August 15, 2011

Sizing Up Our Family

Joey and I always knew we wanted a family when we got married, but we never really talked about how many kids we would have.  I am an only child and he is the oldest of three.  When our friends Steve and Sarah got pregnant (they were the first in our group), we finally started having the discussion about how many kids we actually want. 
The answer?  We still have no clue. 
We are for sure set on one more baby, as being an only child, while it has its good points, can be lonely.  Joey seems to think 3 is the magic number, since that’s how he grew up.  We also know that we want our children fairly close together, so that they have the opportunity to play together and be close to each other if they choose to be.  I thought for sure as I thought about babies that I wouldn’t want my kids all that close together because of pregnancy and birth and how much of a toll it takes, but it’s so true that you really end up forgetting about the pain and discomfort once your little one gets here.  Also, since pregnancy and breastfeeding make it to where your body is no longer your own, I prefer to get that all out of the way at once.
Deciding how many kids to have is difficult.  On one side, it’s so great when they are squooshy, cuddly little babies and being a parent really is rewarding, although it is HARD work.  On the other hand, it can really take a toll on your emotions and your finances and it is HARD work.
Who knows what the future holds for us and what God’s plan is?  I have a feeling that we will somehow know when we are going to be finished with expanding our family.  I can’t wait to see what’s in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment