Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mother's Day Reflections


On my second Mother’s Day, we spent the day driving home from Louisville after my future sister-in-law’s graduation from law school.  I did get a lunch at Red Lobster and dinner from my favorite Mexican place, so it was a good day.  For gifts, I got cutting mats for fabric, a rotary cutter and a “Nick” charm for the necklace that Joey got me last year.  It was a great day and I’m glad that I got to spend it with my family. 

Now that I’m a mother myself, I have developed a much, much great appreciation for my mother and the other mother figures in my life.  I would like to pay tribute to a couple of them.

My mom – Where do I even begin?  I’m one of those lucky ones that has a mom that is also my best friend.  Yes, we have had our differences, but at the end of the day we have the kind of relationship that I hope to have with Aubrey one day.  She has worked so hard to provide me with everything I have needed, but has also instilled in me a strong work ethic and a very twisted sense of humor.  I love her so much and I know Aubs is absolutely in love with her Nana too.

My grandmother – Granny has been my rock.  She’s such an inspiration in her faith and her love for her family.  I love our weekly outings together and I’m so grateful that she is healthy and able to enjoy time with us grandkids and gets to play with her great-grandchildren.  She makes being 82 look easy!

My mother in law – I have also been lucky and very blessed in this department.  Since I have been with Joey since middle school, Helen has been a second mom to me.  She’s always there when I need her, even in the middle of the night and she’s been a huge help in Fridays when she watches the kiddos when I go into work.  She’s the best mother-in-law that a girl could ask for.

My “mom” friends – You know who you are.  Your love and support get me through the hard days – either with something that will make me laugh and forget my troubles or just being that shoulder that I need to cry on.  These ladies come from so many backgrounds and experiences and I’m so grateful that they can share that experience with me.  There are some that I see frequently and others that I have only chatted with online, but they are all so, so important to me.  I love you all and thank you for everything!

These ladies have influenced my life in so many ways and I thank God every day that they are in my life.  They have been with me through hard times and joyous times and I couldn’t imagine going through this journey without them.  Happy (belated) Mother’s Day to all you lovely ladies and to all you mommas out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment